When I was younger, I would have laughed if you told me I’d end up in marketing.
I’ve always been obsessed with magazines. I started writing short stories and poems in “diaries” when I was seven. I worked at all the school papers from 5th – 12th grade. Obviously, I was destined to be a journalist.
I applied to Syracuse University for a magazine journalism and marketing degree. I thought a business degree would be a good “backup” plan, but I had my eye on journalism. Even when I switched to graphic design, I still dreamed of working at a fashion magazine.
After graduation I moved to Seattle and applied for countless jobs. I was confident I’d be a shoo-in. I had a few promising interviews, but the majority of my time was spent playing the waiting game. In fact, I played this game so long that I still didn’t have a “real job” six months after graduation.
Unfortunately print design jobs are hard to come by in a city obsessed with tech. Reality forced me to swallow my pride and try marketing on for size. The rest is, as they say, history.
Though I didn’t start in marketing, I ended up finding a use for my journalism and design background in content marketing. While it was a convoluted road, I couldn’t have asked for a better path to where I am today.
Surprise! Here is a ridiculous video Distilled made of me for my about page profile
1. I’ve always been very “stream of consciousness.” It’s not a problem, it’s an asset.
2. I would just as easily go paint balling as I would go to a Justin Beiber movie (yeah, that happened).
3. I am very open minded and willing to try just about anything. I believe life is defined by the experiences you have & the people you share them with. I refuse to miss any opportunity that presents itself.
4. I wanted to be a lot of different things before I settled on journalism, including a chef, teacher, astronaut, animal trainer at Sea World, fashion designer, architect, interior designer, and event planner. Obviously I got past most of those.
5. Except an animal trainer. I still really want to do that.
6. I started my own business when I was 15 with three other friends. We organized shows for local bands in New Jersey. We once brought in $3000/person profit…do you know how much money that is to a 15 year old?
7. I’ve always been the go-to person among every person I know. Whether it be for life advice, fashion suggestions, a list of the best restaurants, or to edit a paper, I inevitably end up helping most of my peers.
8. I am ridiculously good at Where’s Waldo. I am convinced this is a very important life skill.
9. I am also insanely good at taking notes. Seriously, I’ve been told it’s quite scary.
10. I’ve been skydiving. I think I blacked out from the absurdity of the experience because I barely remember it.
11. I am addicted to Post-Its and making lists. And also, Trello.
12. Yes, I grew up every year going to the Jersey Shore. No, I do not lead a life like Snooki. Though, trust me, there are people like that in NJ.
13. I get a lot of grief for being from Jersey. Well Jersey is blowing up now (i.e. all the shows dedicated to The Garden State), so now who has the last laugh? Muahaha.
14. I have a love/hate relationship with New York City. Our tumultuous relationship causes me a lot of stress. But I will always have a place in my heart for the city.
15. I am a spontaneous planner. I swear it makes sense.
16. I’m Italian, Irish, and Dutch, but mostly Italian. It really saddens me how little Italian American food there is in Seattle.
17. My sister and I joke that we will open up a meatball & pasta street food truck in Seattle. Hey, knowing me, it might happen.
18. I’ve consider going back to school to learn culinary arts. I love cooking and eating out. I secretly hate on Gail Simmons on Top Chef every time I watch it. Not because I don’t think she’s fabulous, but because I am jealous she gets to eat and tell people what she thinks of it for a living.
19. I love animals. A lot. I promise I will own a horse someday. It’s going to happen.
20. I always carry dice on me because you never know when you will need them.
21. I was once charged at by a baby bear while hiking.
22. I named my dog Creatos after God of War.
23. It seriously bothers me when people press the space bar twice after a period. Once people, once.
24. I’ve done a bit of traveling while studying abroad in London & Madrid. My favorite places I’ve visited are Morocco, London, Australia, & Mykonos, Greece.
25. I liked London so much I tried to move there after graduation. They wouldn’t have me.
26. I am determined to travel around the world for a year sometime in my life. There is literally not one place I don’t want to go.
27. I’ve played a lot of sports throughout my life, mainly softball, basketball, rugby, snowboarding, & gymnastics.
28. I don’t like kites. Seriously.
29. I’ve worked retail most of my teenage life. I’ve had retail stores fight over hiring me.
30. My favorite store to work & shop at is J.Crew. If I could be Jenna Lyons, I would.
31. I am really hoping mainstream tourism trips into space happen during my lifetime.
32. I can’t really understand how one person is capable of possessing millions of dollars while there are millions of people who can’t afford basic life necessities.
33. I went to Australia through ISV on a “voluntourism” trip to help get rid of invasive flora. I will never look at lantana the same way again.
34. I was once in an Ovaltine commercial.
35. Walking by a Subway food chain triggers a gag reflex.
This list was surprising easy to make, but there is so much more. If you’d like to hear more & exchange stories, please contact me. I think you can learn something new from everyone you meet, so I hope to hear from you.